Saturday, April 21, 2007  

Ok...

The Marine Corps chain of command in Iraq ignored "obvious" signs of "serious misconduct" in the 2005 slayings of two dozen civilians in Haditha, and commanders fostered a climate that devalued the life of innocent Iraqis to the point that their deaths were considered an insignificant part of the war, according to an Army general's investigation.
(Read here)

WTF????????

Are you kidding? JUST NOW, in 2007, they come to this conclusion? What is wrong with us? While I am glad they came to this conclusion - the better late than never school, I suppose- many of us came to this conclusion shortly after Haditha, after Hamdaniya, after each and every killing of families at check points, deaths in detentions, etc. As a news editor, it was particularly obvious to me as I would ask for stats that none- where Iraqis were concerned, would be forth-coming. "Collateral damage" was the watchword around the newsroom. Collateral damage, my foot. The Geneva Conventions specifically state that stats on civilian dead need to be maintained and that the civilian population is to be protected at all costs.
But, I guess, if you de-humanize the people you occupy, demonize them in target practice, foster an attitude from the top down (that would include W. and co), that the victims are responsible for what happened to them (sounds like a conservative judge and a rape victim, now that I think about it)- then the civilian population never stood a chance. Ever.

I cannot tell you as someone who lives in the San Diego region how disgusted I am with the local military- the Camp Pendleton Marines who brought Haditha, and only god knows what else, into being in our name.

Support the troops?
I don't think so.
Bring them home and give them ALOT of psych treatment.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page
Technorati Profile